Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Can a speaker be requested for a local citizen group meeting or other types of gatherings?

Yes, the police department has a number of officers and a detective that can speak on a variety of topics. Please call the Upper Sandusky Police Department to arrange a time and date at (419) 294 -2324 or email Chief Ross at

Can I arrange for a tour of the police department?

Yes, for school age children and adults. Interested parties should call (419) 294-2324 or email Chief Ross at We will work with you to set a mutually convenient time, generally between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Tours generally last under an hour and are tailored to the ages of the tour group.

Can I get a copy of a police report, arrest record or accident report?

Yes, contact the Upper Sandusky Police Department at (419) 294-2324 any time; come to the station at 120 North Seventh Street, Upper Sandusky, Ohio, 43351; or send a self addressed, stamped envelope with your request to the above address along with your request.

How long should I avoid contact with the water after an overflow?

There are several factors that affect the length of time. The amount of impurities that were introduced during the overflow, water levels and temperatures (hot weather) are major factors. It is generally best to stay away from discharge points (no swimming or contact with water) for several days.

How will I know where the overflow points are located in the City?

Signs are posted near all overflow points alerting the public that this is the location of a CSO outfall. This means that the potential for an overflow could exist during rain events and excessive snow melt.

I am locked out of my house, can the police help me?

Possibly, the police department does not have any special tools to access entry into a home however we may be able to assist. The homeowner must be present and must consent to the risk of possible damage from the use of the entry equipment. The Upper Sandusky Police Department will assume no liability if damage is sustained to the home. To request an officer for assistance, contact (419) 294-2324.

I need my fingerprints taken for employment. Can the police department do that?

No. Contact the Wyandot County Sheriff’s Office at (419) 294-2362.

I received a citation. Can the police department tell me how much I owe and can I pay my citation at the police department?

No, the police dispatcher cannot tell you how much you owe nor can the dispatcher accept payment for a fine. Contact the Upper Sandusky Municipal Court at (419) 294- 3809.

In an emergency, why does a dispatcher ask so many questions? Why don’t they just send a car?

Questions are asked so that the dispatcher and the responding officers have all the necessary information regarding descriptions of vehicles/persons involved, any injuries, any weapons used, etc. This also helps the officers understand the severity of the situation, how many officers should respond and the priority for emergency/non-emergency calls. In short, the information helps us to respond more appropriately to your emergency.

My electric is out. Can the police tell me when the power will be back on?

No. Contact AEP (American Electric Power) at 1-800-277-2177.

My keys are locked in my vehicle, can the police help me?

Yes, however the owner of the vehicle must be present and must consent to the risk of possible damage from the use of the entry equipment. The Upper Sandusky Police Department will assume no liability if damage is sustained to the vehicle. To request an officer for assistance, contact (419) 294-2324.

My neighbor’s dog is barking, what can the police do?

Upper Sandusky Municipal Ordinance 505.09 states no person shall keep or harbor any dog within the Municipality which, by frequent and habitual barking, howling or yelping, creates unreasonably loud and disturbing noises of such a character, intensity and duration as to disturb the peace, quiet and good order of the Municipality. For further information consult the Upper Sandusky Ordinances 505.09.
Any person who violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.
Contact the Upper Sandusky Police Department at (419) 294-2324.

What are the restrictions regarding children and car seats?

Children who are in either or both categories of less than 4 years of age OR less than 40 pounds must be in a child restraint safety seat. Children less than 8 years of age, unless they have reached 4’9” in height must be in a booster seat. Children who are 8 to 15 years of age must use a seat belt. Please check the Ohio Revised Code Section 4511.81 for more information.

What Can I burn on my property?

Inside a city or village, persons are permitted to burn clean, seasoned firewood or equivalent as long as the stack does not exceed 2 ft. high x 3 ft. wide.
Agricultural wastes and plant matter may be burned only if the burn is located more than 1000 feet from neighbor’s inhabited building and you must notify the EPA in advance.
You may not burn: land clearing waste or residential waste.
Contact the Upper Sandusky Fire Department for further information or questions at (419) 294-3322.

What can I do about a stray dog or cat running loose?

Contact the Wyandot County Dog Warden at 419-294-5408. You can also contact the Upper Sandusky Police Department at (419) 294-2324.

What is a combined sewer system?

A combined sewer system has pipes that collect both storm water runoff and sanitary sewage. Combined sewers have existed in Upper Sandusky since the early 1900’s and at that time all combined sewers drained directly or indirectly to the Sandusky River. It was not until the early 1950’s the Upper Sandusky constructed a wastewater treatment facility.

Some of these early combined sewers are still in use today. During dry weather these combined sewers transport wastewater directly to the sewage treatment facility. In periods of heavy rainfall or excessive snowmelt, the wastewater volume in the combined sewer system can exceed the capacity of the sewer system or the treatment facility. For this reason, combined sewer systems are designed to overflow occasionally and discharge excess wastewater directly to the Sandusky River. With these overflows, pressure is relieved from the sewer system thus helping to prevent back-ups in basements. These overflows are called CSO’s.

What is the City doing to control discharges from CSOs?

The City expanded your wastewater treatment facility in 1996 to be able to handle 3 MGD (million gallons per day). Previously the treatment facilities would handle around 2.5 MGD during storm events. Total cost of these improvements was 1.4 million dollars.

The City made operational changes to the treatment facility in 2008 to increase flows up to 3.5 MGD.

The City also has done extensive smoke testing to identify problem areas in the sewer system. This was done so the City could develop a Downspout and Sump Pump Program. The purpose of this program is to eliminate clean water connections into the sewer system. These clean water connections (sump pumps and roof downspouts) put storm water into the sanitary sewer system at a rate that is much higher than sewers can handle and cause back-ups and overflows.

The City is currently developing a CSO operational plan, which will be submitted to the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (OEPA) for approval. The plan includes nine control strategies, which can reduce frequency of discharges and minimize capital expenditures. These nine controls are:

1)   Proper operation and regular maintenance of the sewer system and CSOs.

2)   Maximum use of the collection system for storage.

3)   Review and modification of pretreatment requirements.

4)   Maximize flow at the treatment facility.

5)   Prohibition of dry weather overflows.

6)   Control of solid and floatable materials in CSO discharges.

7)   Require pollution prevention programs focused on reducing the level of contaminants in CSOs.

8)   Required inspection, monitoring and reporting of CSOs.

9)   Public notification for any areas affected by CSOs.

What is the curfew for Upper Sandusky?

According to Upper Sandusky Municipal Ordinance:

Monday to Thursday 11:00 pm until 4:30 am
Friday to Saturday 12:00 am until 4:30 am
Sunday 11:00 pm until 4:30 am

For further information refer to Upper Sandusky Ordinance 509.09

What number do I call in the event of an emergency?

In a true emergency situation, call 9-1-1. For general information, call (419) 294-2324.

When do CSO systems overflow?

CSO systems overflow during periods of rainfall and excessive snow melt.